Home Decorating Trend - Burlap

Burlap, also known as sackcloth, is a coarse canvas woven from jute, hemp or similar fiber, used mainly for, you guessed it, sacking. A lighter version, however, is now a popular trend in home furnishing. As a lover of all things natural, it is very exciting for me to see burlap fabric used to make drapes, accent cushions, table linen and so much more. Layering textures and neutral colors has long been my favorite style of decorating. Because of its coarse texture and neutral color I love the way burlap adds a touch of nature and interest to the decor of a room. These are some of my favorite applications of burlap in home decor. I would particularly love to get my hands on the bottles with burlap labels! 


Burlap Table Runner




Burlap Labels

Decor/Accessories - Glass Bottles with Burlap Labels | Decorative Accessories| Home Decor | World Market - glass, bottles, burlap, labels

Burlap Napkin Rings


Burlap Cube Ottoman

Moulin Burlap Cube

Obviously, there are many more clever uses of burlap in decorating your home and I have chosen to list ones that I personally like. Burlap is a coarse material and that, in my opinion, makes it not my first choice for decor cushions, upholstery fabric or any usage that creates skin contact with the material. That is not to say that softer versions of burlap cannot be used to make such items. See a few below:

Burlap Cushions


I had to wipe a few tears off my eyes when I saw this last photo. The humble burlap getting its due respect in the midst of opulent splendor!

Burlap works well with French country, modern, contemporary, classic and eclectic styles of decor and is a pretty safe bet when combining with any existing fabrics or colors. So, take a chance and bring some burlap into your home. 

Happy Decorating!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decorating Side Tables

Chartreuse - A Risque Color?

The Daybed